11/25/12

Copic Marker Price Increase, Again, January 2013

UPDATE:  July 5, 2014

Well, well, well, looks like the prices have come back down to their normal prices and some prices are even lower than they were before the increases last year. Guess Copic had to see if they could raise the prices and people would be soooo addicted they wouldn't mind the extortion.....NOT!!!



Happy to see the prices are reasonable again.
__________________________________________________

I love Copic Markers, but the prices are crazy!  I am so happy I bought mine before the prices got so far out of hand.

I just learned that beginning January 1, 2013, the price will increase by $1+ ($8 per marker in many USA locations)!    Copic markers, if you have been following, have increased their prices multiple times in a short period of time. I keep reading articles giving them excuses such as:

 “……price increase of Copics has to do with the fall of the value of the American dollar as compared with the Japanese yen

“….the earthquake and tsunami in Japan has caused….”

I will give you the reason I think they are increasing the prices, “price gouging”.  Price gouging is not new.

This is how things will play out because it happens all the time:  Eventually enough people will stop buying Copic markers so that vendors will feel the pain.  You’ll start seeing many sales.  Another vendor of alcohol markers with a better price and of equal or better quality will take over the sales of Copic markers.  This new vendor will get greedy too and the cycle will start all over again.  No matter what the cycle may be, you have a choice.  You can either keep letting vendors believe their products are soooo good they can charge you any price and you will pay OR you can take a stand and move on until they get their act together.

If money is not an object for you, then enjoy purchasing your Copic markers and paying more and more multiple times a year while the value of the marker stays the same.

I am sad to say that I won’t be buying another Copic marker unless I find them on sale at a deep discount and that goes for the refills too.  I will never pay more than $5 per marker (not sure how much I would pay for refills because the refills last a LONG time for me). I bought almost all my markers from Oozak.com and I only buy Copic Ciao markers because they are less than $4 per marker at oozak.  Copic Ciao markers don’t hold as much ink, but they are much cheaper than the Sketch markers.

Some say they can’t find another alcohol marker that can blend well like Copics, but the truth is that if you know how to color, you can blend with almost any medium, not just with an alcohol marker.  Blending did not start with Copic markers.

2 comments:

  1. Copic will not let retailers put their product on sale. If you are found violating their price fixing, the retailer will not be allowed to purchase more Copic from any supplier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous: I have seen Copic markers on sale in many places both online and offline, so not sure about the sale restrictions you mention (I bought all my markers at a discounted rate). In some stores you can also use a coupon to purchase Copic markers.

    ReplyDelete