11/5/12

Pep Talk - Die Cut Machines and Crafts

Some people seem to be intimidated by new things, but not me.  Could this be why I was also in the Air Force?  One thing is for sure, if I think something will harm me, I won’t do it, but if I don’t see any danger, I’m going for it. With that said, don’t be afraid to use your die-cut machines.  They are just machines and they won’t bite you.  Try to figure things out for yourself first because it will give you a real sense of accomplishment to figure it out for yourself.  I’m not saying I don’t ask questions, I do, but I will always try first.  When you make mistakes, you can find your way back to fix them, but if you count on others all the time, you will probably be stuck a lot while learning.  THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MESSING UP WHILE LEARNING.  NOT ONE PERSON WAS BORN AN EXPERT.
I truly do love to learn, which is probably why I like to dive into learning new crafts and the main reason why a technology career field appeal to me -- both of them change often.
I remember taking a Strengths Quest personality assessment when I first started grad school back in 2008.  At first I was thinking, “I have better things to do than take this assessment (I had a ton of homework to do, but it was mandatory for the paralegal program I was in).  Although I changed my mind on the grad degree I was pursuing, I am happy I took the personality assessment because it told me a lot about myself (it was kind of eerie).
There are 34 themes, but the assessment explains your top 5 strongest themes.  My top 5 strongest themes include:  Achiever, Strategic, Learner, Belief, and Responsibility.  The one theme that stuck out for me was the Learner theme:
“You love to learn. The subject matter that interests you most will be determined by your other themes and experiences, but whatever the subject, you will always be drawn to the process of learning. The process, more than the content or the result, is especially exciting for you. You are energized by the steady and deliberate journey from ignorance to competence. The thrill of the first few facts, the early efforts to recite or practice what you have learned, the growing confidence of a skill mastered—this is the process that entices you. Your excitement leads you to engage in adult learning experiences—yoga or piano lessons or graduate classes. It enables you to thrive in dynamic work environments where you are asked to take on short project assignments and are expected to learn a lot about the new subject matter in a short period of time and then move on to the next one. This Learner theme does not necessarily mean that you seek to become the subject matter expert, or that you are striving for the respect that accompanies a professional or academic credential. The outcome of the learning is less significant than the “getting there.””
I like what the other themes say about me too, but I have to say that neither one of them are 100% me, but they are close enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment