5/22/13

John Wayne Casserole Recipe (Altered)

My teenager likes to find recipes for me to attempt to cook.  This particular recipe I didn't want to try because it requires the making of dough.  I am not a dough maker - I don't even like to cook!  To my surprise, this recipe turned out really good.  I improvised because we didn't have onions.  If you want the original recipe, visit the free library.
 
JOHN WAYNE CASSEROLE

2 pounds ground beef, cooked and drained

1 packet taco seasoning

4 ounces sour cream

4 ounces mayonnaise

8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (or however much you like)

1 can Rotel HOT diced tomatoes with habaneros

2 cups biscuit mix

1 green bell pepper, sliced

1 (4-ounce) can sliced jalapeno peppers (optional)

Brown ground beef, drain

--Add taco seasoning and water, according to packet instructions

--Add can of rotel, bell pepper into the ground beef and cook until bell pepper is tender

set aside

In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, 4 ounces of cheddar cheese and set aside

Stir biscuit mix and water to form soft dough

Roll the dough out flat, line a 9x13 inch greased casserole dish (bring dough up to the sides of the dish too)

On top of biscuit mix, evenly distribute ingredients in the following order in layers: ground beef,

sour cream mixture and end with shredded cheese

Bake in 325-degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until edges of dough are lightly browned

This is really tasty.  I actually didn't add the whole can of rotel because I thought it would be too hot, but the next time I make this, I will add the entire can because there was NO heat to it.  I had to add tobasco sauce to my portion on the plate.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment