2/19/14

A Crafter's Small Stash (General Chat)



I bet you feel overwhelmed looking for crafting supplies and gadgets to use, right?  I bet you wish you could find just one place to have all of your questions answered too (not going to happen unfortunately).

I’ve been crafting in some form or another for as long as I can remember.  I know for sure I’ve been crafting since before I could read.  I only started crafting in electronic form since 2010 if you don’t count creating newsletter and flyers in desktop publishing.

I started crafting in electronic form after I saw an infomercial one early morning.  It was this machine that cut shapes.  I couldn’t believe what I was seeing!  I was ecstatic!  I remember thinking some things like:

--You mean there’s a machine I could use and I won’t have to use scissors?!!
--What?  I can buy these images to cut on this machine?
--How much is it?!!
--How fast can I get it?!

Once I got this machine in my possession, I made a ton of greeting cards.  Greeting cards were my thing back then. I still make them, but not like I did back in 2010.  As time went on, I bought the juke box and the Gypsy.  At the time I couldn’t even imagine how I got along without them.  I sold the juke box after getting the Gypsy.  The Gypsy was super cool because I could design on the go.

I have since sold the Cricut Expression, the juke box, and the Gypsy and I now can’t believe I spent so much money on those cartridges.  I actually didn’t go too crazy with buying the cartridges.  I think all in all I only had about 15-20 cartridges.  I surely didn’t own them all.  I would probably still be stuck on these products if better options had not arrived on the scene.  I don’t like Provocraft’s ethics, but I have to thank them for getting me started in the electronic die-cutting world. They don’t have to worry about me buying anything from them except their mats.

Ok, I don’t believe in owning so many machines that do the same thing or practically the same thing.  I have to admit that if the Big Bite had been out before the Crop-A-Dile, I wouldn’t have the Crop-A-Dile.  If the Cinch had been around before the Bind-It-All, I wouldn’t have the Bind-It-All.  I would much rather spend my little money on supplies than crafting machines, which is why I only own the following:

Pazzles Inspiration Die-Cut Machine
Crop-A-Dile
Big Bite
Sizzix Texture Boutique Embosser
ATG Gun
Bind-It All
Blue Cinch
Heat Gun
Hot Glue Gun

When I first bought my Cricut E, I bought a couple of punches because I saw people using them on Youtube (playing follow the leader I guess).  I had to stop and think a little.  Why would I buy a punch when I could cut the shape out on my die-cut machine?

I really wanted a cuttlebug, but I decided not to get it because I already had a die-cutter.  I only wanted the embossing so I felt happy when I found the Sizzix Texture Boutique Embossing machine.

I don’t have a lot of room to do crafts in so for that reason alone I don’t feel as though I need multiple die-cutters.  When I buy another die-cutter, I will be trying to sell my Pazzles Inspiration or donate it to someone.  I won’t hoard it because I don’t want it to take up any space.

My main weakness in crafting is paper.  I LOVE paper.  I have some kind of paper addiction and I’ve been this way forever.  If I could afford it, my paper stash would be enormous.  If I had the room, I would have one room dedicated to just paper.

Another weakness I have is pens and markers.  I am really picky about what kind of writing pens I use.  If I have to put too much pressure on the pen, to me it’s not a good pen.  I like smooth writing pens that don’t make me feel stress in my hands when I’m writing with it.  My favorite markers to date are Copics.  They’re alcohol inks and not cheap, but they are the best I’ve ever used.

The glues I use most are Mod Podge, Scotch Quick Dry, and Glossy Accents.  Mod Podge and Glossy Accents can be used for different things too - not just for gluing things.  When I first bought Glossy Accents I bought it to make a glass-like look in a metal book plate on a greeting card.  It dries hard and clear.  It reminds me of resin.  Mod Podge is a glue and a sealer.  I like heat embossing, but sometimes I need a quick fix and I’ll use Mod Podge to get the shine I’m looking for.

Speaking of heat embossing, it’s a favorite too.  I used to incorporate this technique in everything I made because of the shine of it and how it sealed up my project.  I like fine grain heat embossing powder and I LOVE Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel aka UTEE.  This stuff is super cool.  If you put about 3 coats on, the object looks like glass.

I can go on and on about what I like about crafting and supplies I use, but I better stop here or look for a book publisher.

If you’re reading this line, I can’t believe you made it this far.  lol


No comments:

Post a Comment